A healthy food & lifestyle blog specifically catering for & dealing with the symptoms & conditions of : Endometriosis, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) & Intracranial Hypertension (IH).
Looking at healthy food & food alternatives- redesigning classic recipes & new recipes;
Dealing and living with chronic health conditions on a daily basis- & research about the conditions;
Alternative therapies & remedies, gardening, arts & crafts...
Before undertaking any recipes found on this blog please look to the note in 'Cookery' !

Saturday 7 December 2013

Ham Off the Bone Mushroom and Thyme Risotto...

This year I am not doing Christmas with all the trimmings- which means I am not doing a ham like I did last year, but that doesn't mean I am not having any at all....

 This scrumptious creamy risotto is a great recipe for ham left overs, be it Christmas Day ham or the sneaky shoulder of ham before Christmas (like M. and I did).
And the leftovers can be used to make a favourite of mine- Arancici!!
 

M. and I won't be home for Christmas this year but up the coast in his hometown of Forster, also where my older brothers live.
I am greatly looking forward to spending some time with our families and also catching up with some friends.
But it means that I don't get to do as much cooking as I can't really get into someones kitchen and just take over without feeling like I'll get in trouble.
And to make it worse I wasn't organised enough this year to get much baking done- M. and I have been fairly busy this lead up to Christmas, but I feel like overall generally I am much less organised compared to last year- and I think there may be a reason for that- my IIH has been getting gradually worse (but I am not going to get into that now).
I still plan to get some baking done, but first is getting my card making done, Christmas shopping done and jam making done (yup I am making jam this year for our immediate families this year)...so watch this space!!
Anyway back to the point- HAM!! Yummy ham....


Serves: 6- 8 (or 2-4 with left overs to make Arancini)
Ingredients: 
   2 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil 
   1 medium onion, finely diced 
   2 garlic cloves, finely diced
   200gm ham off the bone, finely chopped 
   2 cups Arborio rice 
   1 cup dry white wine 
   5 to 6 cups vegetable stock 
   1 1/2- 2 cups small field mushrooms, thinly sliced 
   Large handful thyme leaves 
   1 tbsp vegan spread 
   Salt and Pepper to taste
Method: 
  1. In a small saucepan, warm the stock over low heat. In a separate large saucepan warm 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat, stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and most of their liquid, and set aside.Add the ham and cook for 4 minutes and set aside as-well.
  2. In a large pan or pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about three minutes. Add the Arborio rice and cook with softened onions for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently and cooking until grains are slightly glassy in appearance. 
  3. Add white wine and stir until liquid is almost all absorbed.  Ladle in stock one cup at a time, remembering to stir often.  A good way to tell when the risotto needs more liquid is by using your wooden spoon to cut through the risotto.  If the liquid runs back together, then keep on stirring.  however, if it stays parted, then add another ladle of stock.  
  4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
  5. Cook for a further 20- 30 minutes or until rice loses its opaqueness and has softened but still has a subtle bite to it- rice should be firm and the risotto creamy. 
  6. Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, ham, spread and thyme.
Serve topped with rocket leaves, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a crack of pepper and a side of homemade crusty GF WF Sourdough Garlic and Herb Bread.     
(The bread isn’t homemade, just the yummies :P  )

No comments:

Post a Comment