A healthy food & lifestyle blog specifically catering for & dealing with the symptoms & conditions of : Endometriosis, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) & Intracranial Hypertension (IH).
Looking at healthy food & food alternatives- redesigning classic recipes & new recipes;
Dealing and living with chronic health conditions on a daily basis- & research about the conditions;
Alternative therapies & remedies, gardening, arts & crafts...
Before undertaking any recipes found on this blog please look to the note in 'Cookery' !

Thursday 9 May 2013

Raspberry Marshmallow Cream Chocolate Pie...

This scrumptious pie is completely sugar free!!

Lately I have been craving marshmallows and haven't given into temptation because the traditional marshmallow are jammed packed full of sugar...

This is a problem for me because of my whole reproductive hormonal crap that I have going on (I talk about it so lovingly don't I lol).
The basic gist of it is that when I eat sugar, in all its forms it screws with my insulin levels.
Now I am not diabetic, or at immediate risk of becoming one, but yes I need to watch my insulin levels.
This is because my PCOS severely affects my insulin levels, and insulin levels affect my hormone production- which means that with the consumption of sugar and high processed carbs my body automatically makes fats cells and fat cells manufacture oestrogen!!
And what happens if I have more oestrogen- well it screws with my hormones, creates more symptoms and problems AND it gives into the cycle of sugar- high insulin- fat cells- oestrogen- resistance to insulin- repeat...which makes it very hard for one to loose any weight!
Along with any PCOS guide book.

Ta-da mini biology lesson... I bet you didn't know all of that stuff now did you?!

So anyway, back to craving marshmallows, hehe, I have been thinking about it's pillowy soft yumminess for a while and I decided that I may as well try my hand at making sugar free marshmallow.
It isn't too different from the traditional recipe I used to make with my mum.
AND it's a whole lot healthier to boot as it is not just sugar free but also: wheat, gluten, dairy and soy free (the basics for Doe-full); and it is low GI, low carb and low fat!

Serves: 8-12 (depending on how big of a slice you like hehe)
Ingredients:
   3 envelopes unflavoured gelatin
   1/4 cup cold water
   3/4 cup boiling water
   3 tablespoons granulated sugar replacement or liquid sweetener (I used Natvia)
   3 egg whites
   1/2 cup frozen raspberries, loosely broken up with your hands
   1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
   2-3 tbsp solidified coconut cream
         (from a cold can, tipped upside down- take only the solidified cream)
Chocolate Pie Case:
   1/2 tsp salt
   8 tbsp vegan spread, very cold
          (OR ¼ 2tbsp oil- I used macadamia as I had run out of spread)
   1 1/2 cups GF/WF plain flour
   2 tbsp cocoa
         (or in my case as I had run out- and had to use drinking chocolate, and
                less 'sugar'. With 2 tbsp grated dark chocolate)
   1 tbsp granulated sugar replacement or liquid sweetener (I used Natvia)
   2-3 tbsp ice cold water
Method- Pie Crust:
  1. Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar substitute and salt in a mixing bowl, add the spread or oil.
  2. Cut the spread or oil into the flour mixture using either your hands or two knives.
  3. Continue cutting them into the flour until the shortening and butter are mixed into pieces a little smaller than the size of peas.
  4. Slowly add the water, dribbling it over the flour mixture one tablespoon at a time. While dribbling the water, toss the mixture lightly with a fork.
  5. After the mixture is wet, use your hands to press it into a ball, scooping up any remainders from the bowl along the way. If the dough isn’t sticking together well enough, add a little more water.
  6. Don’t over mix when pressing the dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180
  7. After the dough is chilled, roll it out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. Turning it over a few times while rolling out to prevent sticking.
  8. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Method- Marshmallow:
  1. While the pie crust is cooking, sprinkle gelatin over cold water in mixing bowl; set aside 5 minutes to soften. Add to boiling water in a small saucepan; cook and whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
  2. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar replacement. Chill until the gelatin mixture is cool and slightly thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so stir until sugar is dissolved.
  3. Meanwhile beat egg whites in an electric mixer on high speed into soft peaks.
  4. Very slowly, trickle a small stream of the gelatin mixture into egg whites, beating until all gelatin mixture is blended. Continue beating until light and fluffy.
  5. Using a spatula fold through the raspberries and cream. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly.
  6. Scatter some raspberries and raspberry jewels into the cooled pie case and pour in marshmallow mix, top with grated dark chocolate and extra raspberries and jewels. Refrigerate until set.
Serve alone, or with some whipped coconut cream and enjoy!

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Will keep for up to a week in the fridge or a month in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment